Lease Crutcher Lewis and Allegra Properties Start Renovation of Union Stables
Lease Crutcher Lewis has begun construction of the renovation of the historic Union Stables building. Located at 2200 Western Avenue, the 63,768 square-foot building will include offices and 10,717 square feet of ground floor retail space.
In 2013, Lewis purchased a 50 percent interest in the building owned by the Moscatel family’s Allegra Properties, and together they are developing the property. Lewis is the project's general contractor, and will occupy the fourth floor and a new penthouse on the fifth floor for its new headquarters. Other tenants include Weinstein A|U and HasOffers. Weinstein A|U is also the project architect.
The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. BOLA Architecture is the lead consultant for historic designation. Miller Hull is designing the Lewis interior. Coughlin Porter Lundeen is the structural engineer. Pat Foley of Lake Union Partners is assisting Allegra with management of the project.
"It's exciting to get started," said Dave Rauma, the Lewis Senior Project Manager in charge of the renovation and the Lewis buildout. "We've learned a lot about being on the owner side of a project, in particular dealing with land use permitting and landmark preservation. Now that we're under construction, we're focusing on schedule and quality, including sensitivity to the historic building."
Major elements of work include seismic upgrades, masonry restoration, new mechanical/electrical systems, and construction of the new penthouse level. Under a demolition permit, work began in early May to remove the freight elevator, sawcut the concrete foundation slab, and excavate for the new footings that will carry new steel cross-braced towers for the seismic upgrade. The building permit was received June 9, 2014 and renovations will be substantially complete in February 2015.
Lewis will occupy its new space in March 2015. The Lewis offices will provide contiguous and open space to support the company's collaborative work style. The space will also reflect Lewis' and the team's commitment to sustainability with a target of LEED Gold for the building and the Lewis interior.
The project recently earned preliminary approval for federal historic preservation tax credits. As part of this process, BOLA and the team worked with the National Park Service (which administers the National Register) to align the improvements more closely with the original building. This included retaining the existing doorways on Western Avenue (each large enough for a team of horses) and slightly reducing the profile of the new penthouse level. The process was lengthy, but the result is outstanding in terms of preserving the building's historic character and receiving tax credits that partially offset the investment. The City's Landmarks Protection Board also approved the project in early May.
The building was originally built as Union Stables, starting in 1909 and completing in 1910. At one time it housed 300 horses that were used to draw streetcars and fire engines. In 1942 the building was remodeled for Graham Furniture Company, and in 1974 the Moscatel family purchased the property for use as retail and warehouse for the Continental Furniture company.
“We have always envisioned the renovation and historic preservation of this building and we have waited a long time to do so,” said Neiso Moscatel, president of Allegra Properties. “The timing is right with the redevelopment of the Seattle Waterfront and the commitment of a business partner that shares our values.”
About Lease Crutcher Lewis
Lease Crutcher Lewis has been a leading Northwest general contractor since 1886, and has been based in Seattle since 1939. Lewis is active in numerous project types, including laboratory, healthcare, education, office, retail, hotel, multifamily, historic renovation, and others. Common threads for its work include an integrated approach to working with customers and design partners, sustainability, and a focus on optimizing delivery through lean construction approaches.
About Allegra Properties
Allegra Properties was founded in 1972 by Neiso H. Moscatel as a full service real estate company that offers property management, development and investment services. Allegra Properties, through its affiliates, owns and manages a portfolio of over 45 properties. They own and have redeveloped three historic properties. Allegra Properties is a family owned business and is operated day to day by members of the family to ensure that each property receives the attention it deserves. .