DJC Article: Lewis Turns 125
Lewis is the great-grandson of company founder N.T. Lease, who started the business in 1886 in Great Falls, Mont. N.T. Lease’s son, Howard Lease, moved the business to Seattle in 1939 to capitalize on World War II work, where it built the still-used main terminal at Sea-Tac Airport. Current Chairman Jim Crutcher, Howard Lease’s son-in-law, began working at the business in 1957.
In 1986, Bill Lewis established his own general contracting business, W. Lease Lewis Co. In 1989, it joined with Lease Crutcher after a number of joint-venture projects. The merger expanded the company’s name, and its work into tenant improvements and seismic renovations.
In 1993, the company opened an office in Portland. That office does a lot of work in higher education, such as the under-construction $45 million Lewis Integrative Science Building at the University of Oregon.
Check out the full article in the PDF below.