Building the Business: 1957-1989

Bill Lewis, oldest grandson of Howard Lease, takes over as president and CEO when he merges his company, W. Lease Lewis with Lease Crutcher in 1989 to form Lease Crutcher Lewis. Bill earned a Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering with honors at Princeton University, and a Masters and Honors Fellowship in Civil Engineering and Construction Management from Stanford University. ▶ McMahon Hall, 1966. A 14-story, 415,000 square foot dormitory on the University of Washington's main campus.
◀ The US Pavilion Expo was built in Spokane in 1974 as part of the World’s Fair. Dick Owen managed the very challenging tent assembly. Each night he called the Spokane airport for the latest wind report because the fabric was very fragile. During the first attempt a sudden gust of wind ripped a hole in the material. Two nights later, after the repair, they successfully erected the roof. Jim and Barbee Crutcher pose with project team members, including Bill Bain of NBBJ, at the World's Fair site.


AGC Building, 1970. A nine-story, 200,000 square foot concrete building over piles on Lake Union in Seattle. The facility is the headquarters for AGC of Washington, and includes a restaurant and a surface parking lot built partially on fill. The building is surrounded on three sides by pleasure boat moorage. ▶
Jim Crutcher ran a leg of the 1984 Olympic torch relay in Seattle.

 Go to The Modern Era ▶