At Lewis, where an employee is an owner, our people are empowered to make decisions—big and small—to meet the goals of our clients. Our promise: “Every Decision. Every Detail. Every Day.” means we are passionate about getting it right, day in and day out, and driven to deliver cool projects and build quality buildings that stand the test of time. With fulfillment as one of our six core values, Lewis has a collaborative and supportive culture committed to the success and development of our people.
We are seeking an experienced Safety Coordinator to join our team!
At Lewis, safety is not a department. It is not an individual. It is not a field issue. Every Lewis employee is personally accountable for protecting themselves and their co-workers from harm, and we share a commitment to safe execution of work. Our Safety Coordinators are responsible for proactively identifying safety hazards and other risks on jobsites and working collaboratively with their jobsite teams to eliminate or mitigate the issues.
A successful candidate will be able to speak to the safety challenges a general contractor faces daily, because they have recent, relevant safety experience in the construction industry. They will be able to communicate and build relationships with everyone on their jobsites, from the field to the office, because their style and behavior reflects our core values like Trust and Respect and Fulfillment.
This position reports to the Safety Director, and will partner with the jobsite Superintendent and Project Manager for day-to-day operations.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Site Specific Safety Plan and Safety Audits
- Manage job site hazards plan for single large site and/or multiple sites.
- Ensure safety boards, equipment and site-specific materials are supplied at each site.
- In collaboration with Project Superintendent and Project Engineers, review the Subcontractor’s Site Specific Safety Plans for completeness and relevancy.
Documentation and Technical Expertise
- Ensure required equipment training is conducted and documented and provide or arrange technical safety training required to support field operations
- Support field crew with the development of their pre-task plans and job hazard analysis
- Clarify safety rules and provide technical expertise and solutions to safety challenges on site
- For personal injuries, ensure injured party gets immediate care as appropriate for the severity of the injury, reporting immediately to Safety Director and Risk Manager.
- Conduct thorough accident investigation including witness statements, photographs, environmental conditions and any other relevant factor
- Identify and document all contributing factors and institute training, policy or procedural changes to address the identified root causes on the incident
- Lead morning Safety Huddles efficiently with a team-oriented and participatory approach.
- Foster and promote a company-wide healthy safety culture and respond to every safety suggestion promptly
- Build trust and rapport with Lewis EHS and field to positively impact Lewis culture.
IN ORDER TO SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE
- 5+ years of experience in a safety role in the construction industry
- Certified in OSHA 30; OSHA 510; CPR/First Aid
- Experience with safety tracking and reporting systems
- Experience with managing claims or cases of injured workers
- Ability to identify and resolve safety hazards collaboratively
- Technical knowledge of the following is preferred: Asbestos exposure; Lead exposure; Flammable storage; Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (Hazwoper); Respirator fit training; Equipment – Crane, Scissor Lift, Boom Lift, Forklift, etc.; Rigging/ Signaling; Fall Protection; Confined Space; Scaffolding; Trench/Excavation; Bloodborne pathogens; Electrical safety; and Flagging.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a workforce of diverse backgrounds, education, experience, etc.
- Strong presentation skills, facilitation skills and ability to develop and deliver effective job safety training
- Strong attention to detail and ability to resolve complex problems
- Ability to work independently; organized, accountable and dependable
- Proficient computer skills; and the ability to write pre-task plans, JHA and work plans
- Team player, ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to collect and interpret data and apply it in a practical approach
- Responsive to jobsite needs and/or concerns
A 100% employee-owned general contractor, LEWIS offers a comprehensive healthcare plan with medical, dental, and vision coverage. Our employer-funded Lifestyle Spending Account supports physical wellness for employees and their pets, and our employer-funded Headspace membership supports mental wellness. We also offer a generous Health Savings Account with annual employer sponsored contributions. LEWIS provides support for a financially healthy future, including our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (enrollment covered at no cost to you) and a 401(k) with a competitive matching program. To support employee philanthropic efforts, employees are eligible for volunteer PTO and charitable giving matching programs. Other, position-specific perks may apply.
Apply Now Share